Internship at the United Nations for Disability Rights
Internship: At the United Nations for Disability Rights
The International Disability Alliance (IDA)is a unique, international network of global and regional organizations of persons with disabilities.We aim to promote the effective and full implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) worldwide, as well as compliance with the CRPD within the UN system, through the active and coordinated involvement of representative organizations of persons with disabilities at the national, regional and international levels. The New York office of IDA is carrying out advocacy work to bring the rights of persons with disabilities into mainstream of the UN’s agenda.
We are offering a unique opportunity to work at the United Nations on a daily basis. Through this work, the intern will gain insight into and gain practical knowledge about the work of the UN, become familiar with international advocacy work, and interact with diplomats on a daily basis. The intern will receive a short training on disability rights and business protocol, and will receive a temporary UN pass.
Working with the IDA team in conducting research, draft language to propose for adding to relevant UN texts, attending meetings, and reporting on meetings.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• The ability to work on one’s own initiative and meet deadlines
• Strong research and internet skills
• Excel and Word proficiency
• Attention to detail
• Excellent team player
• Ability to multitask effectively
• Good organizational skills
• Research ability on the topics of economic, social, and human rights
• Open-mindedness and creativity.
· Minimum Education: Completed at least two years of college
· Interest in International Relations, Law, Economics, and/or Disability Studies
· Knowledge of issues related to economic development.
· Experience in writing advocacy papers, brochures, flyers, or other documents.
Application deadline: June 8, 2012
Interview date is: June 12, 2012
Starting date: June 11, 2012 (flexible)
Duration 10-12 weeks
Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please be advised that the internship is unpaid.
Please send resume via email with the subject line: IDA NY Internship
No agencies or recruiters